Sunday, 25 January 2009

The sun is back!



Some facts about the Polar Night:

Because of the angle of the earth's axis, the sun isn't seen the same way up here in the North. Already in September the days start getting darker above the Polar Circle. From the 21st of September we lose ten minutes of daylight every day, until finally, the 21st of November, the sun sets on us for two entire months. It goes below the horizon, and doesn't rise again until the 21st of January. At that point, it is visible for maybe two or three minutes, and sometimes we can't even see it at all that day, if it's overcast. However, from that point on, we gain ten minutes of daylight every day. I watch my days become brighter and cherish every minute of sunlight. And today I saw the sun for the first time in two months.

Of course, the upside of this period (besides the pretty blueish light from the snow, the frequent occurence of Northern Light and the beauty of a starry sky all throughout the day) is that it has a counterpart - the Midnight Sun. The 21st of March, we've caught up with the rest of the world, and we have just as much day and night. But we continue to gain ten minutes extra daylight per day, and as a result, the sun doesn't set at all for two months in the summer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Se nå ja, det gikk bedre!
Jeg ville bare si at det må være fint å se sola igjen, og vite at det går mot lysere tider :-)

ziarah said...

Det er utrolig herlig, jeg har savnet sola SÅ mye. Man innser det ikke helt før man ser den igjen :)

Unraveling Sophia said...

That's so amazing! We have long nights and Northern Lights, but we do actually get sunrise in the winter. I can't imagine two months of dark. What happens sociologically during those dark months? Do people stay in? Does the crime rate increase? Is there more depression?

It seems like a very beautiful place to live - nature wise...

ziarah said...

No, no, life goes on as normal, no change :) Some people have trouble getting up in the morning, but that's mostly people who don't grow up getting used to it - and we do have some daylight even though the sun isn't there - the snow reflects the light from the moon and the stars - it can be very beautiful ^_^

I do love my hometown, but I should get out more - enjoy the nature not only from afar ;)

Ida said...

Jeg vil ha solbolle!

Dann Smith said...

I can only imagine how happy you are to see the sun again.

I get giddy when it shows its face after just a week of dire weather. :p

ziarah said...

Ida, jeg spiste en på selve soldagen ^_^ En sånn med bare sukker på!

Dann, yeah, it really feels great :) In fact, I'm glad you commented just now, because I'm at work and inside and you just reminded me to take a quick break and go outside for a bit of daylight :)