I just received a book I've been waiting for - Socks à la carte! I think I must have made this book to be among the wonders of the world in my head while waiting, because when I got it I didn't right away feel the need to knit anything in it. I did however love the lay-out, and I will definitely be using it to try out different heels and toes. It has a big part explaining techniques and I look forward to sitting down and actually reading it a bit more thoroughly than I've had the time to do so far. At the same time as this book, my mother's Glam Knits arrived. A lot of elegant and pretty garments in it. I especially liked the hoodie, and even swatched for it, but I don't have yarn that'll fit quite yet, and I have no money whatsoever to spare.Money (and the lack thereof) makes for a nice transition to the next thing I wanted to share with you! I just got a haircut! 200$ is quite a lot to pay for something that will change and grow and not stay permanently as cute as it is right now, but at the moment, I'm thinking it was SO worth it. I don't go to the hairdresser's often, maybe two or three times a year - My mom cuts hair quite well, nothing fancy, but enough to keep the hair from getting too frizzy ends, and I usually profit from her abilities and get free haircuts at home. However, at the moment she's in Puerto Rico, and I also really felt like getting a "real" haircut, dyeing it (or, I don't know what they call it, the kind of dye that isn't all permanent but that lasts for about 3-6 months?), getting an actual "do" instead of just hair that works loose or in a ponytail, but doesn't have anything remotely special about it. So! I went, on a whim, after work last Friday. I spent the rest of my money for this month (I have enough to get food for my parents' budgie, another carton of milk and some bread), and am now on a budget until the 12th of February! But I'm so happy with the hair. I walk around smiling at mirrors (sometimes I even do a little dance), and it feels as though I've received tons of compliments, in spite of the fact that the only people I've seen since Friday didn't even notice the hair change (but they were work collegues and Saturday was an extremely busy day). One of the things I like the most with the hair is that I can DO so much with it! I can have a fringe if I want to, I can make it look punky and cool or soft and feminine. Here are some photos, not showing nearly enough of what I can actually do with it:


I've been smiling a lot lately, not only because of the hair. I've been eating relatively healthy, although indulging a bit in chocolate and baking, but keeping my weight in check. I need to work out more, though. House-sitting for my parents comes with a car, and tiredness in the mornings makes it incredibly easy to sleep a bit longer and drive instead of walking to work. It's only a 20 minute walk though, so I should really just leave the car. But! I was talking about smiling, let's stick to that, shall we? Much more fun to discuss! I've been watching Audrey Hepburn-films lately, and I am really enjoying it. Can't believe I've gone so long without seeing any of her films. I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's last Tuesday when my friend Ingvild was here, and adored the character of Holly Golightly, the whimsiness, the nonchalance, the fear of commitment... her wonderful way of expressing herself ("Oh golly, quel beast!"). Very quoteable indeed!
Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds, you mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?
Oh, and I also taught Ingvild how to knit! She's a crocheter to begin with and didn't have a hard time at all - She's on Ravelry as CaranMir, by the way. After having seen Breakfast at Tiffany's I decided I simply had to see more, so last night I saw Charade which was delightful and fun. Loved the ending. I have My Fair Lady lined up next, and then How to steal a million and more.
I recently finished Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book which just won the Newbery Medal. Loved his narration, the main character is great and the book made me smile a lot.
What makes you smile?


4 comments:
i love the hair! how cute! and i feel exactly the same way about socks a la carte! i love the layout but have had it for almost a week now and have yet to start anything out of it... maybe after i finish my other projects... all 5 million of them
peace,
beatnik
Du ser kjempesøt ut på bildene :) Enig i at det er deilig med en 'ordentlig' hårklipp innimellom. Det skal bli spennende å se hva du finner på å strikke fra de nye bøkene, jeg har kikket litt på Glam Knits selv også...
Your haircut is gorgeous!! A real artist must have done that - it suits you perfectly! and I know what you mean about the budget - I often make the decision to eat rice for a week so I can but some yarn or a new book LOL.
I love Audry Hepburn movies too - the clothes in those movies are too cute! Funny Face is a fun one and you would like that because in that movie she works in an interesting old bookstore!
Post a Comment