Friday, 2 May 2008

Swap heaven!

Wow, these past days have gone by quickly! They have been stressful, crappy, tiresome and wonderful. I've finished five essays and started preparing for latin exams, I've had a headache that wouldn't go away no matter what I did (went on for three days), I've been watching a great deal of E.R and I've received packages three days in a row (monday, tuesday, wednesday).

First, I received my Yarn Snob Swap Package, from yarnnonni. The yarn is Malabrigo Silky Merino and it is Oh-so-soft! I love it! And I got three skeins of it, so I have enough for maybe two small projects. The tea is Purity from Tavalon Tea Bar, and I was so happy to receive it!! I was about to go into withdrawal since it's not available for international shipping from their site, and I am quite addicted ;) I got some lovely stitch markers as well, but unfortunately one of them was broken... They are made from shells from the beach where Patricia/yarnnonni lives and some beautiful green pieces of glass (I think). I'll use it next time I knit something big, like a blanket or a shawl.

On Tuesday, I received my order from The Loopy Ewe. I didn't take any pictures, but you can have a look at their site yourselves - they have so many nifty things! I bought a wpi-kit, with a stick to roll the yarn around to see how many wraps per inches it makes and then it gives weight and needle size :D I love it! I also got the small sock blocker-key chain, the green chibi from clover, the sock-it-to-me sock size overview and a lovely lavender lotion bee wax bar that makes my hands softer than soft! The fact that I can't really afford any of this at the moment is of course irrelevant... We might have to convieniently stop by at my parents' house for dinner a couple of time before the 12th of May...


Then, on Wednesday, I was REALLY spoiled. Sophia and I decided to do a private tea and yarn-swap, and sent eachother requests and wishes - I got the most wonderful package!! As you can see by the photos, there were lots and lots of goodies. I'll start with what wow'ed me the most: the yarn. I got a skein of Manos del Uruguay's silky blend in the loveliest shades of purple, and I've already started a pair of knitty's Spirogyra which I think I just might keep for myself, since the yarn is so amazingly soft. I also got a 400yds skein of superwash merino yarn in fingering weight from Seacoast Handpainted - I can't wait to start some new sock projects - it's been a while since I last knitted socks and I miss it :) The last yarn addition was 10g of supersoft angora wool. I think I need to use it for some baby garment :)

I was happy to find not only the Interweave Knits issue from last fall (out of print and very popular), but also a vintage booklet from 1949 with baby patterns!! I love vintage knitting, and I am looking forward to trying out some of these lovely layette-patterns ("hentesett"). I also got a squishy baby toy (no close-ups in case my brother or his girlfriend are reading the blog), and two bunny buttons that I am going to use on a baby cardigan (I think).

I had to stop myself right away from eating the few pieces of chocolate in the package - but I had one of the green tea vanilla bean cookies :) Very good indeed! My boyfriend ate the milk chocolate, and I'm saving the dark chocolate for an occacion. I gained weight this week. I guess it's because I've been so stressed out and not able to control myself as well, but I have been exercising in my Redcord sling a bit, so I'm hoping the weight is more muscles than fat... Anyway, I feel much better today, and I rode my new bike (it's white, not red as the one in the photo) to work. It's sunny outside and it's finally starting to feel like spring (Please don't let me jinx it with those words...).

Back to the package (Yes, there is more!), the tea Sophia sent me was really yummy - I've had so many cups of the blueberry muffin tea that I've lost count! It really feels like you're having liquid muffins, only not as nauseating as that sounded. In a good way, I swear! Fresh nice blueberry taste with the addition of some caramel pieces that gives a round muffin-y taste. The almond tea was great too, especially with a dash of honey, but I have to be really careful with it so that I don't provoke my allergies too much (allergic to nuts and almonds, both of which are in the tea). I haven't gotten around to tasting the ginger oolong, the rooibos fennel or the pyramid bags, but I'm saving them for next time my mother or Anne stops by. The package also came with a really pretty card that is now on my cork-board .. uhm.. Don't fail me now, English vocabulary!! Daarn yooou!. Okay, it's like a blackboard, only it is made out of cork and you pin stuff to it. Like, to do-lists and photos and such. What's it called? Please comment, and relieve me of this terrible "I'm sure I know what it's called"-feeling... ;) Anyway, that's where it is, (Thanks, Sophia) right next to my desk :) Thank you so much for a lovely package, Sophia :) ETA: Oh. I forgot to mention the granola! I've been adding some to my cereals every morning and it's really good (but VERY sweet!!). Works so well with my morning routine and takes the edge off my sugar cravings ;)

Close-ups of yarn from Patricia and Sophia:


I've mangaged to do some knitting (while procrastinating) these past days as well. I've finally picked up my too short Ravenclaw scarf and started knitting on that, but it's not very challenging since it's just back and forth and not much of a pattern. I've knitted some more squares for my Mindless Knitting Blanket, and I've managed to finish up my beaded wristwarmers. I will post a pattern soon for the wristwarmers, which were inspired by a pattern from Du Store Alpakka that didn't work out too well for me. I've made so many changes in it, that it turned into a whole new pattern, so I just have to dechipher my notes and write it out, and then I'll post a pattern. Anyways, here are some photos:


3 comments:

Ranveig said...

WOW!! Det er alt jeg kan si... Jeg har ikke helt råd til å delta i "swap"-er nå, men skal definitivt prøve det mer til høsten!! Har blitt med i "swap on a budget" gruppa på Ravelry og de skal ha en swap som starter i juni/juli. Vet ikke om jeg noengang svarte deg - men det ser ut som vi har endel til felles ja. Jeg strikker også på et lappeteppe f.eks. Men jeg har kjøpt garn til mitt da.

Unraveling Sophia said...

Wow - what a lot of wonderful pictures! Thanks for that lovely view into your knitting life. BTW - its called a "cork-board"! hee hee

I'm so glad you like your swap box and sorry about the almond tea - I thought that one would be most like the caramel tea they didn't have in the store but I didn't know you were allergic to nuts. I think its dangerous to have things you're even a little allergic to, so you should probably swap that one or save it for guests. :(

I got your box yesterday and I love love love the things you sent me! I'll post on my blog soon and show my lovely swap goodies too! :)

Good luck with exams! Remember....agricola amat puellae (I took 5 years of Latin and only remember a few rude phrases - sadly) ha ha!

Guri said...

Så mange fine pakker :) Heldig er du!

Du spurte om Kauni, av norske nettbutikker vet jeg at hvertfall villepinner.no og strikkinnom.no selger det. Jeg fikk mitt i gave, men når jeg en gang har penger igjen skal jeg bestille noen hesper.