Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Ziarah - Plant Killer Extraordinaire?



Misty Poppins, my umbrella plant, decided that she didn't like the Norwegian Polar Night. At least that is my theory. First, her leaves started turning black or blackish. Then entire umbrella stalks started to fall off (you can see the place they used to sit on one of the photos above. After two weeks in my bathroom (warm and lots of light, she has started sprouting new umbrellas - no less than TEN of them! Unfortunately, according to different guides I've read, it seems this may be a... well.. a last attempt at surviving. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that she'll live through this!

Spike the Dragon Tree is also going through a bit of a rough patch - He was repotted two weeks ago, since his roots started to come out of the pot, and I think the new soil was just.. all too wet for him. He too, has spent a few weeks in my bathroom, and now he's been loosing some of his spikes, they're turning yellow and falling off. He seems to be doing a bit better, though.

The Dumb Cane (terrible name for a plant, but it looks great) has also had some leaves turning yellow, but seems to be doing well otherwise.

So, Ziarah - Plant Killer Extraordinaire? That remains to see... At least the sun is returning - On Wednesday, the 21st of January, we'll see it again for the first time in two months. Only for a few minutes, if the weather is good, but I am looking so much forward to it! Might do some good for my poor plants too.

One plant that is doing great, is the orchid I got for Christmas. It is in full bloom, and the colour of the flowers even matches my curtains!


6 comments:

Marissa said...

Wow- look at the color of the light outside your window!!! That's fantastic! Good luck on your plants. I can sympathize; mine are all hanging on by a thread as well. They have to have a strong will to live to survive in my presence!

ziarah said...

Thank you, but that's actually just the lamp showing in the window! But the light will be something like that in a few days when the sun returns :)

Unraveling Sophia said...

What beautiful photographs!

All the plants you have are ones that actually should thrive in low light. They don't like humid conditions though, or too much water - the soil should feel mildly dry to your touch for most of the week, and then water them once on the weekend....

ziarah said...

Thank you! :)

That's exactly how I've been treating them, actually, with the exception of the Umbrella plant for a while. I've been careful not to water them too much, but I do think the lack of light is affecting them. It can get quite dark here in the winter. Umbrella plant seems to be doing better now, though :)

Brandy said...

I've never had any luck with umbrella plants!! I don't know what the deal is. They seem to just be finiky plants...so don't feel bad. Maybe they'll all perk up soon! Sorry I don't have anything enlightening or constructive to say. I just wanted to offer my support because I know what it's like to lose a plant...or two...or three.

Anonymous said...

your orchid grows in tromso!!!amazing!
mine died after a month during summer in marseille ;-)
anna13