Thursday, 4 December 2008

My plants need names!

So, I have three plants in my apartment, and they have been unnamed for a long time. (Yes, I have name for my plants. Let's move past that and accept it as my reality without further question, eyh?). After the parsley plant Oscar and Oscar II a.k.a. Oscar-the-Stump (R.I.P), I've been very lacking in creativity when it comes to names.

So, any suggestions are welcome, and if I choose to use one of them there will be a small prize for the person who suggested it!

The plants in question:

Plant #1

This is a Shefflera, also known as an umbrella plant. It can get really big.

Plant #2

I didn't know what kind of plant this was, but both Hilary and my brother's girlfriend helped me to find out - it is a Dracaena Marginata, also known as a Dragon Tree ♥

Plant #3

This plant is a non-variagated Peperomia Obtusifolia, also known as a Baby Rubber Plant. It has round and thick leaves, and it makes me smile.

14 comments:

Rosewort said...

Hi... saw your post on Ravelry's Cuppa Tea forum. :)

Let's see here... the first plant definitely looks like a Harald to me.

Plant number 2: the first name that popped into my head was Lavinia.

Plant #3... this one was tough. He/She *looks* like a baby magnolia, or possibly a rubber plant of some description. Very cheerful looking!

This name I'm about to suggest may not sound very original: Sweetie.

However I've had a silver mound Artemesia plant for five years, which I named "Sweetums" after the big brown monster in The Muppet Movie. I chose the name because like the muppet the plant is soft, got to be quite huge, and had a very gentle energy about it.

Kristin said...

I'd love to help you name your plants! I always pick kind of wacky names for my own, so how about:

#1 - Lenore

#2 - Horace

#3 - Sasha

-Kristin
(Ravelry: brineydeep4)

Hilary in East Anglia said...

Plant #2 is definitely a Dracena Marginata. Here's some info on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_marginata

Hilaryin Germany

Suzanne said...

Here are my suggstions:

1. Isabella or Misty
2. Oliver
3. Emma

Unraveling Sophia said...

Hmmmm well, the first one, because its an umbrella tree:
Rainy

and the second - I had one of these for the longest time! - I will name
Pearl (Pearl the gentle dragon)

and the third one is little love, a sweet little plant, I will name her:
Precious Plum

hee hee! What a great idea! If i win, I'd love the Norwegian Christmas tea! <3

Unknown said...

#2 is definitely a Chuck

Everyone should have at least one plant named "Chuck the plant", preferably a mutated cactus, but failing that, any plant that has a striking Chuck-like appearance.

Brandy said...

Plant 1: LUCKY
I would name it this because I was very 'unlucky' with my umbrella plant, so maybe naming it LUCKY would bring you luck. It's worth a shot.

Plant 2: SPIKE
Not very creative since it's a spikey plant, but it's fitting...and you asked for our opinion.

Plant 3: LUST
Maybe a strange name for a plant but I ABSOLUTELY love this plant and I like the name on the plant even better. Very Beautiful!

Best of luck on your contest and Best of luck with your plants! They're all really great!

Brandy is SC

Sarah said...

The man who discovered the Schefflera was a German named Jacob Christian Scheffler. My family owns a Schefflera, and they turn into MASSIVE houseplants that make you feel like you are living in a jungle. I love these plants. Anyways, when I think of a Schefflera, I definitely think female, and since this plant is going to be such a mammoth one day, I suggest a good, strong German girl's name: Hilda.

The Dragon plant is from Madagascar, and is VERY sturdy. You could ignore him for a long time and he would survive. Frankly, this plant has some attitude. I'd name him Butch.

As is typical with babies, your Baby Rubber Plant needs lots more care then your other two. While it would be easy to simply named her Baby, I think I can be more creative then that. I would give her a diminutive of her own name: Mia (from the first half of her name), or Lia (from the second half of her name). She's quite adorable and those girl's names are just as sweet.

Love,

Lady Danio, a fellow Raveler

HODGEPODGESPV said...

plant 1: brit for short, brittannia (british umbrella) or bb short for black brit or bub short for british umbrella black...ok, i will stop

now back to the pictures

HODGEPODGESPV said...

plant 2

margy short for margaritaville or madge short for madagascar...or oscar or flur because it looks like it is sort of airy and light and that just sounds airy.

plant 3

rbbb (pronounced arbys)...rubber baby buggy bumpers

wo for wet ones



you're in luck, i am winding down from being up all night!

sandy (spvaughan on ravelry)

Meghann said...

LOL...this is a fun contest:)

I pick:

1. Ruby
2. Gus
3. Matilda

Meghann (radiant on Ravelry)

Mom2Schnauzers said...

#1 Rihanna-after the artist who sings Um-ber-ella, ella, ella...

#2 Spray, just cuz...

#3 Pippy, because it's latin name is Peperomia obtusifolia

Vic-Jo-Rob said...

Plant 1: Stella, cause I immediately got a vision of Marlon Brando yelling "Stella" from out on the street.

Plant 2: Draco, Sean Connery's Dragon in Dragonheart because he lent integrity to that name (let's not think about the bad reputation engendered by HP's Draco Mallfoy)

Plant 3: She looks like a Pip to me

Unknown said...

Plant 1: Bob

Plant 2: Fernando

Plant 3: Eeyore