Yesterday was the first Sunday of Advent and I started decorating for Christmas. It's not all done yet, I need to buy curtains and vacuum the living room, but I have my Advent star up in the window glowing warmly - The majority of Norwegians have something lit hanging in their windows in the Advent period, and here in Tromsø that's especially visible, since the sun has gone away now and it won't come back until the 21st of January. So even though it's dark outside we can see stars and candles glowing from other people's houses. I have one electrically lit in the living room and a little red glass candle lit one in the kitchen window:


I've also found my little nisse-girl (more about the term "nisse" in Scandinavian folklore here), as well as the Advent Wreath, and I lit the first candle yesterday while working with some consultant reading by the kitchen table. By the way - wikipedia and most sites say that Advent is a Christian tradition, but here in Norway people don't generally associate it with Christianity, and so-called heathens celebrate Advent as well ;) The kitchen wall is empty and white because it's waiting for the perfect piece of rectangular-shaped something that I'm going to hang there once I find it...:


I've been busy reading some young adult books for evaluation lately (free lance work), but I've also had time to knit a little bit - First I made mittens - I followed this chart. The only problem was... Well, I watched Desperate Housewives while knitting the first one. I was relaxed and calm. Then I made the second one watching Dexter... The gauge came out completely different, and the second mitten looked as though I'd used needles two sizes smaller than the first one... So I frogged the second, but here's a photo of the first one, still waiting for it's mate:


I also finished my second ever torso sized garment - A Shawl Collar Vest that turned out nicely with comfortably soft yarn that I got in a RAK from medievalmouse on Ravelry - I've been wearing it every night since, it's so warm around the shoulders! Please ignore my tired look on the photo (I cut my head away from most of them...):





4 comments:
Nydelig genser-skuldervarmer-ting!:) Så kjempegod ut :)
Hei igjen! Blomsterpotten vanner vel hele tiden egentlig...Det er tråder som går fra jorden ned til vannet og så trekker de vann opp, så jorden holdes fuktig. Man må fylle på med vann ca. 1 gang i uken.
I had so much fun reading this entry - it gave me a nice warm Christmas-y feeling!
Always happy to spread the Christmas joy! :) My favourite holiday of the year ^_^
Post a Comment