Monday, 9 June 2008

It's been a while...

So, I've been MIA for a long time now - So many things have happened in my life, and I've had my hands full. A month ago, my boyfriend and I broke up, and since then I've been moving my stuff down to my new apartment little by little. We can keep the old apartment until the 30th of June, so I still have some time to finish moving - I don't want to take it all at once since my ex is living up there, and it will be rather empty for him, and also because it would mean carrying and lifting a lot in just a few days.

The new apartment is at the ground floor of my parents' house, but with it's own entry - it's completely seperate from their living area. My dad has been renovating the bathroom and he's almost done. Four days ago, the kitchen was finished and ready, with a new kitchen table and my brother's old frigde (works like a charm). I even have a dish washer, which is a luxury for me. The place is 64 square metres, two bedrooms (one of them is dungeonlike - through a hatch in the floor down to the basement - a very beautiful little room), big livingroom (with widescreen tv and panoramic view over the city) and a cosy little kitchen. At the moment it's all very empty, since most of my things aren't here yet, but I have my tea, my knitting and a comfortable arm chair to sit in, so I've been managing all right. It's weird being all on my own, but I am definitely not looking for something new. I am going to stay single for a long time, it will be good for me. Here's the goldfish-thingy that's hanging from the roof of my dungeon-bedroom, not sure what it's called in English. Anyway, it's all in glass, and my friend Eirin gave it to me back when we were 15-16 years old. I really like the way it looks against the white walls:




In other news, my new niece was born the 28th of May. She is the most beautiful little girl, and they're naming her Silja (a Scandinavian version of Cecile, meaning "blind (to the evils of this world)" from latin "caecus").



I've knitted her a Sheldon - or perhaps more fitting seeing as it's all pink - a Shelda. The turtle shell has a bag of lavender in it, which should have a calming effect on the little one - however, she's the most calm baby I've ever seen! - Sleeps all the time and rarely cries - my brother and his girlfriend are lucky parents. I'm also working on a baby blanket for her in matching colours. Here are some photos:




Oh, and Sophia, the parents LOVED the squeeky sheep-toy, it's now in her crib with her while she sleeps, and her plastic bracelet ID-thingy (the one that all newborns have around their arm at hospitals) is placed around it. I haven't gotten around to knitting something from the vintage booklet yet, mostly because I've had five exams, in addition to living in two places at once... Tomorrow is my last exam - An oral exam in Spanish. I'm nervous, and I'm not very well prepared, so naturally I'm procrastinating by blogging instead of reading... Hopefully I'll pass. After that I'm going to work as a guide all summer, spend a lot of time with friends and family and be creative with knitting, drawing and card making. I'm taking a break from my studies this autumn, with a bachelor degree in English and a One Year Program of French well placed on my resumé. When I've had a well-earned year of relaxation and work, I'll probably start my master's degree in English. We'll see.

4 comments:

Unraveling Sophia said...

Your new neice is soooo adorable!! I'm sure she will love the beautiful Shelda and and lacey blnket you've made for her!! You will quickly become her favorite auntie.

I love the sound of your new apartment too -it sounds like a poet's house! and The fish mobile is darling - I love anything to do with water and the ocean!

Can't wait to see more of your wonderful knits over the summer...

ziarah said...

Thanks :D I'll try to update more once I get settled in the new apartment - buying a couch this week, so that I can have people over :)

The house really is charming - more than a hundred years old! Wooden with big windows, letting in much light. It's the house I grew up in, but we lived on the upper floor - this has always been an apartment that my parents rented out to people, and right now it just happened to be empty, so I can rent it at a reasonable price ^_^

When I have the furniture I need and have started making the place more my own, I'll try to post some photos here :-)

Hope you're well! :-)

Nicole & Phil said...

oh, your knitting is fabulous..and your niece and I share the same birthday! :)
cheers!

ziarah said...

Thank you so much, Nicole (and Phil?)