Wednesday, 16 January 2008

A whole new world of sock knitting

So, I've been aware of the existence of both toe-up knitting and magic loop-knitting for quite a while, and my New Year's Resolution this year (in addition to getting in better shape) is to learn new sock knitting techniques! And I've just started my first magic loop-socks - I'm using the lace pattern from Hedera, and trying to adapt it as well as possible to the ML technique.



Now some people might say that using a lace pattern is not the best way to learn a new technique - that I ought to stick with stockinette stitch or a simple ribbing. However, since I've knitted two pairs of Hedera socks since New Year, I really have this lace pattern in my fingers, and it has not given me any problems so far. I've just started the heel, and I realized that I haven't done short rows heels before - ever! Luckily, I found a nice walkthrough that did not include this heel method, but I intend to learn that one as well before 2008 is done.

Instead of reading latin, as I was supposed to, I've been sitting on YouTube, watching knitting lessons by Cat Bordhi, on how to knit socks on two circulars. Here too, you can knit two socks at once, a factor that appeals to me - No suddenly realizing that one sock is longer than the other, or that you skipped a row in the pattern on one.

So... My "carrot" for this semester at the university: If I manage to finish all the courses (50 stp) this semester - I am ordering Cat Bordhi's Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles through work, as a reward. I am motivated for this spring's classes, and I think everything will go well, so I'm looking forward to a summer full of interesting sock knitting techniques! On to knit my magic loo... errr... to read latin. Yes, read latin.

1 comment:

Ilix said...

Great idea..... I had the same thought! Yay for new sock techniques!!